Career Day 2019 has come and gone, we look forward to hosting everyone again for Career Day 2020! Event date and details to be determined.
Career day is split into two separate parts. The first portion of the day is filled with a lunch panel, mock interviews and resume reviews by veterinary professionals open to students of all years. Fourth Year Students have first priority during this portion of the day. Check your UF CVM student email for details on registration. The second portion of Career Day is the Career Fair from 4:30-6 p.m. This event is open and highly encouraged for students of all years.
UF/IFAS Extension Straughn Professional Development Center
Career day is split into two separate parts. The first portion of the day is filled with a lunch panel, mock interviews and resume reviews by veterinary professionals open to students of all years. Fourth Year Students have first priority during this portion of the day. Check your UF CVM student email for details on registration.
The second portion of Career Day is the Career Fair from 4:30-6 p.m. This event is open and highly encouraged for students of all years. Check out the Facebook Event page for more details.
Check out the schedule for the day here – 2019 UF CVM Career Day Schedule
Thank you to our Sponsoring Organizations:
Distinguished Academic Year Sponsorship:
- Banfield Pet Hospitals
- Forever Vets Animal Hospitals
Academic Year Sponsorships:
- BluePearl Veterinary Partners
- Humane Society of Naples
- Toledo Blade Animal Clinic
- MuraBella Animal Hospital
- Tampa Bay Veterinary Medical Group
- Maricamp Animal Hospital
Organizations Attending & Recruiting Areas:
- All Care Animal Hospital (Central Florida)
- Alliance Animal Health (Central and Eastern US)
- American Veterinary Group (Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina)
- Animal Care Center, Inc (Jacksonville, FL)
- The Animal Health Center (East Palatka, FL)
- Antigua Veterinary Practice (Saint Augustine, FL)
- Banfield Pet Hospital (Nationwide)
- Blue River PetCare (Nationwide)
- Blue Run Veterinary Practice (Florida)
- BluePearl Veterinary Partners (Nationwide)
- Bradfordville Animal Hospital (Tallahassee, FL)
- Caring Hands Animal Hospital of Aventura (Aventura, Florida and northern Virginia and Washington DC)
- Caring Hands Animal Hospital (Lake City and Live Oak, FL)
- CityVet (Texas)
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium (Clearwater, FL) – no longer attending, contact Kerry Almy at firstname.lastname@example.org and use referral code CMA19INT to waive volunteer application fees.
- Companion Animal Hospital (Nationwide)
- Country Critters Veterinary Clinic (Florida, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana)
- Coyne Veterinary Services, LTD (Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana)
- Doral Centre Animal Hospital (Florida)
- East-West Animal Hospital (Lutz, FL)
- Easyvetclinic (Nationwide)
- Elanco Animal Health (Greenfield, IN)
- Forever Vets Animal Hospital (Jacksonville and Orlando FL)
- Halifax Veterinary Center (Port Orange, FL)
- Humane Society Naples Southwest Florida (Naples / Fort Myers, FL)
- Humane Society of North Central Florida (Gainesville, FL)
- Key Veterinary Care (St. Augustine, FL)
- Keystone Heights Animal Hospital (Keystone Heights, FL)
- Live Oak Animal Clinic (Summerfield, FL)
- Maricamp Animal Hospital (Ocala, FL)
- Micanopy Animal Hospital (Micanopy, FL)
- MuraBella Animal Hospital (St. Augustine, FL)
- Murley Acupuncture (The Villages, FL)
- MVS Pet Care Florida (Florida)
- National Veterinary Associates (Nationwide)
- Neel Veterinary Hospital (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
- Newberry Animal Hospital (Gainesville, FL)
- Novey Animal Hospital (Tallahassee, FL)
- O’Brien Veterinary Group (Florida)
- Panhandle Veterinary Services (Florida Panhandle)
- Paws & Claws Veterinary Hospital (Tallahassee, FL)
- Pet Paradise (Jacksonville, Gainesville & Orlando FL; Charlotte, NC; SC)
- Pet Partners (Nationwide)
- Pet Vet Clinic, Inc (Chiefland, FL)
- PetWell Partners (Nationwide) – no longer attending, contact email@example.com for additional information
- Quail Hollow Animal Hospital (NVA) (Tampa, FL)
- Southeast Veterinary Hospital (St. Augustine, FL)
- Southern Veterinary Partners (Nationwide)
- SPCA Florida (Lakeland, FL)
- Tampa Bay Veterinary Medical Center (Tampa Bay, FL)
- Tavares Animal Hospital (Tavares, FL)
- THRIVE Affordable Vet Care (Nationwide)
- TLC PetSnip, Inc. (Central Florida)
- US Army Healthcare (Nationwide)
- USDA- Food Safety and Inspection Services (Nationwide)
- VCA Animal Hospitals (Nationwide)
- VetCor (Nationwide)
- Veterinary Emergency Clinic of Central Florida (Central Florida)
- Veterinary Emergency Group (NY, NJ, FL, MA)
- VIP Petcare (Nationwide)
- Volusia Veterinary Services (DeLand, FL)
Career Day FAQs
- When is Career Day?
The exact date of Career Day changes every year but it has historically been hosted early to mid fall semester, this year it is scheduled for Tuesday, October 29, 2019.
- What goes on during Career Day?
Career Day has various career development opportunities for all UF CVM students (of all years, fields, and stages). It includes one-on-one mock interviews and resume reviews with employers, a lunch and learn panel with employers, and a Career Fair. Fourth year students are given first opportunity to register but then registration will be open to students of all years. Career Day offers the rare opportunity to connect and get feedback from real veterinary professionals. You can ask someone in the profession questions you have been struggling with such as – Do you care if my resume goes over one page? Should I mention other ‘non-vet’ experience in my interview? and What do you really look for when you hire?
- Why would I benefit from attending?
Career Day is a great opportunity to network in the veterinary field. Whether you are a fourth year student interested in an internship or a full time position or you are a second year thinking about externships or even making plans for the summer, all the employers are here to connect with you. Many of the attending employers are open to hosting externs, interns, or even part time/summer staff! If you are not currently looking for a position, Career Day can be a great opportunity for getting feedback on your resume and interview while practicing your networking and small talk skills. Employers are also able to request interview space for the day following Career Day, Wednesday 10/30 so be prepared if an employer is interested in interviewing you here on campus the following day.
Before Career Day:
- Review UF CVM Career Resources and schedule an appointment with your Career Counselor to craft and/or review your resume, CV, and other application materials.
- Get your resume reviewed during Career Day Drop-In times.
- Research the employers attending and learn about their organizations and positions. See who’s planning on attending above and what locations they are hiring for.
- Perfect your handshakes and elevator pitches for employers.
- Plan your outfit and print off multiple copies of your resume/CV.
- Write down SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, time sensitive) goals for the day. Examples include – ‘Connect with 5 potential employers in your area of interest’ or ‘Practice Elevator pitch 10 times to various employers’.
The Day Of The Event:
- Dress professionally and arrive early for the day, turn off your cell phone and focus your attention on your goals for the day.
- One-on-one Mock Interview and Resume Reviews are available throughout the morning and early afternoon on a sign-up basis followed by a Lunch Panel and wrapped up with a Career Fair in the afternoon.
- Parking is reserved for our campus guests and will not be reserved for students.
After Career Day
- Follow up with your contacts you met with information from their business cards and/or connecting on LinkedIn.
- Send thank you notes to anyone organization that interviewed you.
- Follow up with your Career Counselor and utilize our UF CVM Career Resources regarding next steps by scheduling an appointment.
Questions about Career Day? Email us!