Career Day Information for Students
UF CVM Career Day
Thursday, October 11, 2018
UF/IFAS Extension Straughn Professional Development Center
Career day is split into two separate parts. The first portion of the day is filled with a lunch panel on professional communication, mock interviews and resume reviews by veterinary professionals open to students of all years. Fourth Year Students have first priority during this portion of the day. More information to come!
The second portion of Career Day the Career Fair from 3pm-5:30pm. This event is open and highly encouraged for students of all years.
Thank you to our sponsors – you make UF CVM Career Day possible!
- BluePearl Veterinary Partners – Breakfast Sponsor
- THRIVE Affordable Veterinary Care – Lunch Sponsor
- Pet Doctors of America – Career Fair General Sponsor
Organizations Attending & Recruiting Areas:
- AA Animal ER Center LLC – Gulfcoast/Suncoast of Florida; Pinellas County
- Affiliated Veterinary Emergency Center and Granada Animal Hospital -Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach
- Alachua County Humane Society -Gainesville, FL
- All About Animals, Inc.
- American Veterinary Group – Florida & North Carolina
- AZPetVet – Phoenix, Arizona
- Banfield Pet Hospital – Nationwide
- BlackwellKing – Nationwide
- BluePearl Veterinary Partners – Nationwide
- Caring Hands Veterinary Group – Miami and DC Metro area
- Companion Care Pet Hospital – Central Florida
- Copper Basin Veterinary Clinic -Georgia
- Country Critters Veterinary Clinics – Gainesville, FL Ocala, FL Radcliff, KY
- Crystal Creek Animal Hospital
- Elanco Animal Health – Greenfield, IN
- FDACS / USAR
- Fetch My Vet LLC – Florida
- Forte Veterinary Partners, LLC. – Florida
- Halifax Veterinary Center – Port Orange, FL
- Hometown Animal Hospital
- Kelly’s Animal Hospital – Port St Lucie, FL
- Lake Alfred Animal Hospital – Lake Alfred, Florida
- Live Oak Animal Clinic – SouthEast
- Loch Haven Veterinary Hospital – Orlando, Florida
- Mandarin Veterinary Clinic -Central FL, Summerfield
- MuraBella Animal Hospital – St. Augustine, FL
- National Veterinary Associates – Nationwide
- Operation Catnip -Gainesville, FL
- Panhandle Veterinary Services – Florida Panhandle
- Pathway Vet Alliance – Nationwide
- Pet Doctors of America – Jacksonville, FL
- Pet Emergency Center – Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Pet Paradise Resorts – Jacksonville, FL: Charlotte, NC; Houston, TX
- Pet Partners – Nationwide
- RSVP Relief Veterinary Services – FL, GA, TX
- Sanlando Springs Animal Hospital
- Southern Veterinary Partners – South
- SPCA Florida – Lakeland, Florida
- Springlake Animal Hospital – North Central Florida
- Tavares Animal Hospital -Central FL
- The Pet Stop Mobile Clinic 3 – Florida
- Thrive Affordable Vet Care – Nationwide
- US Army – Nationwide
- VetCor – Nationwide
- Veterinary Emergency Clinic of Central Florida
- Veterinary Emergency Group – East Coast
- Veterinary Hospital Managers Association – Florida
- Veterinary Practice Partners – Nationwide
- Vetfield Animal Hospital – Sunrise FL
- VitalPet – Houston,Tx Dallas, Texas Eldorado, NM, New York City
- Volusia Veterinary Services – DeLand, FL
- Winter Garden Animal Hospital – Winter Garden, FL (Central Florida/Orlando)
- Youngs Animal Hospital – Titusville, FL
Career Day FAQs
– When is Career Day?
The exact date of Career Day changes every year but it has historically been hosted early to mid fall semester, this year it is scheduled for Thursday, October 11, 2018.
– What goes on during Career Day?
Career Day has various career development opportunities for all UF CVM students (of all years, fields, and stages). It includes one-on-one mock interviews and resume reviews with employers, a lunch and learn panel on professional communication with employers, and a Career Fair from 3pm-5:30pm. Fourth year students are given first opportunity to register but then registration will be open to students of all years.
Career Day offers the rare opportunity to connect and get feedback from real veterinary professionals. You can ask someone in the profession questions you have been struggling with such as – Do you care if my resume goes over one page? Should I mention other ‘non-vet’ experience in my interview? and What do you really look for when you hire?
– Why would I benefit from attending?
Career Day is a great opportunity to network in the veterinary field. Whether you are a fourth year student interested in an internship or a full time position or you are a second year thinking about externships or even making plans for the summer, all the employers are here to connect with you. Many of the attending employers are open to hosting externs, interns, or even part time/summer staff! If you are not currently looking for a position, Career Day can be a great opportunity for getting feedback on your resume and interview while practicing your networking and small talk skills. Employers are also able to request interview space for the day following Career Day, Thursday 10/12 so be prepared if an employer is interested in interviewing you here on campus the following day.
– But I have more questions! Who can I talk to?
Before Career Day
- Review UF CVM Career Resources and schedule an appointment with your Career Counselor to craft and/or review your resume, CV, and other application materials.
- Get your resume reviewed during Career Day Drop-In times.
- Research the employers attending and learn about their organizations and positions. See who’s planning on attending above and what locations they are hiring for.
- Perfect your handshakes and elevator pitches for employers.
- Plan your outfit and print off multiple copies of your resume/CV.
- Write down SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, time sensitive) goals for the day. Examples include – ‘Connect with 5 potential employers in your area of interest’ or ‘Practice Elevator pitch 10 times to various employers’.
The Day Of
- Dress professionally and arrive early for the day, turn off your cell phone and focus your attention on your goals for the day.
- UF CVM Career Day Schedule 2018– One-on-one Mock Interview and Resume Reviews are available throughout the morning and early afternoon on a sign-up basis followed by a Lunch Panel on Professional Communication in the Job Search Process & Beyond and wrapping up with a Career Fair from 3pm-5:30pm.
- Parking – Parking is reserved for our campus guests and will not be reserved for students.
After Career Day
- Follow up with your contacts you met with information from their business cards and/or connecting on LinkedIn.
- Send thank you notes to anyone organization that interviewed you.
- Follow up with your Career Counselor and utilize our UF CVM Career Resources regarding next steps by scheduling an appointment.
Questions about Career Day? Email Francesca Lerner VBMA Vice President