Externships are completely optional and not required for a student to graduate. However, these experiences provide great opportunities for students to gain insight into working in private practices, specialty clinics and various locations.
We have developed the externship database to help you find approved extramural opportunities. You must be on campus using your GatorLink credentials to log on the database.
- Academic and Government institutions are pre-approved sites and therefore may not be listed in the database.
- Only U.S. externships are approved for academic credit.
While the college maintains a database of many available externships, additional locations can be approved by submitting the required Application Request for Practice Approval.
- This form must be submitted by the practice, not the student.
- Your externship needs to submit the request 2 months before your visit to the committee.
Checklist for Students
Please carefully read the details and instructions below regarding externships.
- Complete the Externship Request Form .
- The Externship Request Form must be completed BEFORE your first day at this Externship. This form provides OSI with information on where you will be and whom you will be working with; while you may have already given this information to the externship coordinator, we also require this information to maintain consistent record,
- UF students enroll through ONE.UF for academic credit (Offshore Students see OSI)
- Externships cannot be substituted for clinical rotations; while scheduled in clinics, UF students may only complete an externship during an approved vacation period.
- Only third and fourth-year students are eligible for externships.
- Retroactive credit will not be awarded, you must be registered for the externship before attending.
- Externships must be supervised by a licensed veterinarian or doctoral level research scientist.
- Students are not permitted to completed an externship under the supervision of a family member.
- Upon completing the externship, provide the Externship Supervisor with the Evaluation of Student by Supervising Veterinarian grade form so they may evaluate your performance.
Students are covered by the university’s malpractice insurance while they learn at UF CVM and attend rotations such as ECC Ocala, Miami-Dade Shelter, PBEC (Practice Based Equine Clerkship) and PBSA (Practice Based Small Animal Clerkship). Any hands-on experience outside of UF CVM, such as Externships, is not covered. Students are advised to purchase liability insurance through the AVMA Professional Liability Insurance Application. They have sponsored it for free for members of SCAVMA. Please discuss liability insurance with the practice location at some point before beginning the externship; it is a good conversation to have in order to ensure everyone has the same understanding of how you are covered! Should you be completing your externship(s) at an academic institution, then you will remain covered by UF’s insurance.
- Students are permitted to complete a total of 3 externship experiences at approved locations.
- The maximum number of externship credits a student may accumulate towards graduation is eight.
- The eight maximum credits are achieved by attending a one-month long externship (eligible for 4 credits and then 2 two-week externships for 2 credits each).
- Each externship you attend must be at a different location.
- Students will not receive additional credit for completing more than three externships.
- Examples of earning externship credit:
- Earn 2 credits: Complete two weeks at one practice location.
- Earn 4 credits: Complete a one month long externship at one practice.
- Earn 6 credits: Complete three individual two week externships, earning 2 credits per experience.
- Earn 8 credits: Complete a one month long externship to earn 4 credits. Plus, complete two more externships at two different locations for two weeks each, earning 2 credits per experience. This totals 8 credits and gives the maximum allowed externship credit hours.
- Any odd number of weeks spent at an externship site will still be given either 2 or 4 credits (i.e. 3 weeks = 2 credits, 5 weeks = 4 credits).
Register for Externship and Grading
You must provide Dot with a completed externship request form in order to register for externship credit. This must be done before you leave for your externship. Be sure to complete this document in order to receive academic credit for externships!
You must provide your externship supervisor with a grade form so that you can receive a grade for your experience. Additional, we ask that you evaluate your experience at this location, The completed grade form must be sent to Dot McColskey by the externship supervisor. Once the student’s grade is recorded, a copy of the grade form will be sent to you for review.