Career Day Information for Students
UF CVM Career Day
Career Day has passed for 2017, thanks to all who attended. We look forward to hosting you next year, this website will be updated once we have information for the coming year’s Career Day!
November 8, 2017
9:30am – 6pm
Banfield Room A/B, UF Small Animal Hospital
Career day is split into two separate parts. The first portion of the day is filled with a lunch panel on benefits, mock interviews and resume reviews by veterinary professionals for primarily fourth year students. Fourth Year Students have first priority during this portion of the day and may find more information regarding the day on the Facebook Event.
The second portion of Career Day the Career Fair from 2:30pm-6pm. This event is open and highly encouraged for students of all years. If you plan on attending this portion of Career Day please RSVP on the Facebook Event.
Student Registration is now closed
Thank you to our sponsors – you make UF CVM Career Day possible!
- VCA Animal Hospitals
- Capital Veterinary Specialists
- Veterinary Emergency Clinic of Central Florida
- Chickasaw Trail Animal Hospital
- Lap of Love
- Alachua County Humane Society: Sarah MacLennan
- Animal Specialty Hospital of Florida: Jennafer Snyder, Reagan Terry
- Banfield Pet Hospital: Heather Zaretsky, DVM, Jesus Aramendi, DVM
- Bayshore Animal Clinic: Alexis de Gale, DVM
- BluePearl Veterinary Partners: Janis Massaro, Lindsay Cropper
- Bradfordville Paws & Claws Veterinary Hospital: Dawn Figlio, Jessie Juneau, Rick Figlio, Lindsey Nelson
- Brick City Cat Hospital: Jennifer Salpeter
- Chickasaw Trail Animal Hospital: Dr. Scholl
- City of El Paso Animal Services: Dr. Alana Canupp
- Country Critters Veterinary Clinic: Julie Stewart
- East-West Animal Hospital: Dennis Costantino, Joy Clark
- Elanco Animal Health: Dr. Lynda Green
- Fetch My Vet: Michael Sanwald, DVM
- Garden Veterinary Clinic: Dr. Kim Neitzel
- Halifax Veterinary Center: Kathleen D. Bartos MS, DVM
- Lap of Love Veterinary Hospice: Trent Cate, Brie Oliver
- Loch Haven Veterinary Hospital: Astin Deem, Jeffrey Speicher DVM, Jim Martin DVM
- Midtown Clinic of Ocala: Dr. Emily North, Shannon Silcox
- Mitchell Hammock Pet Hospital: Dr. Woody Dudley
- MuraBella Animal Hospital: Ryan Meyer
- National Veterinary Associates: Lynn Roy, Shirlontae Moss, Kelley Greene
- Nestle Purina PetCare: Ainsley Bone, DVM
- Oaks Veterinary Hospital – VetCor: Jenn Kesler
- Pet Paradise: Jaime Pickett, DVM, MBA
- PetWell Partners: Tyler Foreman
- San Francis Veterinary Hospital: Carlos Campos DVM
- Silverthorn Animal Clinic: Cassy Skinner, Lisa Matyka
- Southern Veterinary Partners: Amy Baccam, Howell “Hal” Little, DVM, Brooke Certa, DVM, Meagan Underwood
- Summit Boulevard Animal Hospital: Arun
- Thrive Affordable Vet Care: Jennifer Scata DVM, CCRT, Jennifer Amador
- Tuscawilla Animal Hospital: Alex Suero
- U.S. Army: Dana McDaniel, Cpt Jamie Jackson, Staff Sergeant Collins
- VCA Animal Hospitals: Alex Dittmer
- Veterinary Emergency Clinic of Central Florida, LLC: Heidi Koivu, Patricia Reynolds, Liz Swope, Pam Juhl, Raphael Rodriguez, Pam Juhl, Dr. Nicole Roberts, DVM & Andrew Vidot
- VetCor: Jennifer Wallace
- Village Square Veterinary Clinic: Cherry Douglas
- Wellswood Animal Hospital: Gustavo Giovannetti
- Young’s Animal Hospital: Mike Schardein, DVM, Dr. Robert Gordon, Rachel Robinson
Career Day FAQs
– When is Career Day?
The exact date of Career Day changes every year but it has historically been hosted early to mid fall semester, this year it was scheduled during Hurricane Irma and is now rescheduled to Wednesday 11/8/17.
– What goes on during Career Day?
Career Day has various career development opportunities for all UF CVM students (of all years, fields, and stages). It includes one-on-one mock interviews and resume reviews with employers, a lunch and learn panel on benefits and career, and a Career Fair from 2:30pm-6pm. Fourth year students are given first opportunity to register but then registration will be open to students of all years. You can view the schedule here – Career Day Schedule
Career Day offers the rare opportunity to connect and get feedback from real veterinary professionals. You can ask someone in the profession questions you have been struggling with such as – Do you care if my resume goes over one page? Should I mention other ‘non-vet’ experience in my interview? and What do you really look for when you hire?
– Why would I benefit from attending?
Career Day is a great opportunity to network in the veterinary field. Whether you are a fourth year student interested in an internship or a full time position or you are a second year thinking about externships or even first year making plans for the summer, all the employers are here to connect with you! Many of the attending employers are open to hosting externs, interns, or even part time/summer staff! If you are not currently looking for a position, Career Day can be a great opportunity for getting feedback on your resume and interview while practicing your networking and small talk skills. Employers are also able to request interview space for the day following Career Day, Thursday 11/9 so be prepared if an employer is interested in interviewing you here on campus following Career Day.
– But I have more questions! Who can I talk to?
Before Career Day
- Review UF CVM Career Resources and schedule an appointment with your Career Counselor to craft and/or review your resume, CV, and other application materials.
- Get your resume reviewed during Career Day Drop-In times.
- Research the employers attending and learn about their organizations and positions. See who’s planning on attending above.
- Perfect your handshakes and elevator pitches for employers.
- Plan your outfit and print off multiple copies of your resume/CV.
- Write down SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, time sensitive) goals for the day. Examples include – ‘Connect with 5 potential employers in your area of interest’ or ‘Practice Elevator pitch 10 times to various employers’.
The Day Of
- Dress professionally and arrive early for the day, turn off your cell phone and focus your attention on your goals for the day.
- Final Career Day Schedule– One-on-one Mock Interview and Resume Reviews are available throughout the morning and early afternoon on a sign-up basis followed by a Lunch Panel on Benefits and wrapping up with a Career Fair/Networking Event from 2:30pm-6pm.
- Parking – parking is reserved for our campus guests and will not be reserved for students.
After Career Day
- Follow up with your contacts you met with information from their business cards and/or connecting on LinkedIn.
- Send thank you notes to anyone organization that interviewed you.
- Follow up with your Career Counselor and utilize our UF CVM Career Resources regarding next steps by scheduling an appointment through Gator CareerLink.
Questions about Career Day? Contact Laura de Armas at email@example.com