The services provided by Education Center staff include the following:
Library Support Services
- Circulation of materials (books, journals, periodicals)
- Assistance with looking up library resources
- Placing items on reserve for course use
- Archiving of College’s historical materials
- Reserving group study rooms, and Computer Lab
Room Scheduling for Non-Class Uses
We schedule the use of classrooms in the Education Center. Contact Education Center staff for reserving these spaces. To schedule these rooms outside of normal business hours, please contact Mary Ring.
Media Development Support
Faculty and staff involved with the development of distance learning courses are given priority for the following supported services:
- Recording presentations in classrooms using MediaSite technology
- Broadcasting presentations from classrooms using MediaSite technology
- Conducting live online class sessions or reviews using Adobe Connect web platform
- Recording class lectures or supplemental content using Camtasia Relay
- Recording content using Camtasia Studio software (for more editing capabilities)
- Converting video content and assisting with placing video content online
- Consulting on media options for online learning
- Scanning paper documents and images to digital formats
Computer Lab Support
Staff assist faculty with the use of the Computer Lab. This lab was renovated in early 2012 to support group-based and problem-based learning. This lab uses software for sharing visuals instead of a conventional LCD projector. Faculty are encouraged to arrange an orientation to the room at least two weeks before any scheduled use of the lab to help ensure the facility meets the instructional needs of the course. Contact Education Center staff to arrange an orientation if you have not used this space since January of 2012.
Classroom Equipment Support
Through a collaborative effort with the College’s IT staff and our Audiovisual/Security staff, we assist faculty with the use of classroom equipment in these locations: New Auditorium, Lecture Halls A, B, and Equine Auditorium. Faculty are encouraged to schedule a one-on-one orientation to one of these classrooms prior to teaching in them for their first time. Faculty are also welcome to schedule a “refresher” session to become reacquainted with technology in these rooms. Contact Education Coordinator to arrange an orientation.
Please note that the IT staff maintain the software installed on the computers in all teaching spaces. If you need software added to any classroom computers, please contact the IT staff for assistance. The IT staff prefer the “LANDesk” web form be filled for such requests with as much advance notice as possible before a class session.
Classroom Support Assistants
The Education Center staff train and coordinate the Classroom Support Assistants. This effort begins in Fall of 2012. A DVM student from each year will be available to provide basic assistance with classroom technology to faculty or guest lecturers for the following spaces: New Auditorium, Lecture Halls A&B, and Equine Auditorium. Please note that these DVM students can provide general “how to” assistance around the basic use of the audiovisual equipment including:
- How to project from PC or laptop computers
- Turning On/Off Projector
- Turning On/Off Microphone
- How to adjust classroom speaker volume
- Where to connect thumb drives
Although these Classroom Support Assistants will be available to help each class session, faculty that make regular use of these teaching spaces are encouraged to arrange a one-on-one orientation with Education Coordinator to these classrooms prior to their first class to attempt to prevent technical issues from occurring. Our Classroom Support Assistants are not trained in the troubleshooting or repair of equipment, but rather have an operational knowledge of the commonly used equipment. They may also help identify and report equipment issues to full-time staff. Faculty will be e-mailed when the Classroom Support Assistants are officially on-board and trained for each semester.
This page was last updated on February 28, 2014.