Please read carefully the details and instructions regarding externships. Should you have any questions, please contact: Melissa Cox at (352) 294-4262 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Externship opportunities are considered valuable in our curriculum. Externships are completely optional and not required for a student to graduate. However, these experiences provide wonderful opportunities for students to gain insight into working in private practices, specialty clinics and many times, at locations students wish to apply for employment.
Find Approved Externship Locations
Use the Externship Database Search to find approved externship locations.
Log onto this database by using a computer at the CVM campus and using your Gatorlink ID/password.
Important Facts and Regulations for Students about Completing Externships
- Externships are pass/fail.
- Only 3rd and 4th year students are eligible to register for externships.
- During the Spring semester of the 4th year, (UF) students may only complete an externship during a period when they have been granted a vacation. Vacations cannot be substituted for clinical rotations.
- All externships must be approved in advance by members of the curriculum committee. While the college maintains a data base of many available externships, additional locations can be approved by submitting the required Application Request for Practice Approval. This form must be submitted by the practice, NOT the student! Please be sure you plan in advance and ask your externship location to submit this request at least 4 months before your visit so the committee may review the information.
- Students must be enrolled in ISIS and with OSI in order to gain credit. Contact the Externship Coordinator, Melissa Cox, to ensure enrollment is complete and accurate for the requested time frame.
- Mandated by the college, UF students must remain on campus during the last term of the 4th year. All externships must be completed by the end of the Fall term of the 4th year.
- Students are not permitted to complete international externships for academic credit.
- Liability Insurance: Students are advised to purchase liability insurance through the AVMA. They have sponsored it for FREE for members of SAVMA. Please remember to discuss liability insurance with the practice location at some point before beginning the externship; it is a good conversation to have in order to ensure everyone has the same understanding of what how you are covered! Should you be completing your externship(s) at an academic institution, then you do not need to purchase this insurance.
*NOTE: Academic institutions are pre-approved externship sites. They may not be listed in the database, but they are approved for academic credit. There is no need to send the supervisor the application for approval.
Evaluations and Grading
You will receive an e-mail seven (7) days before you leave for your externship. This email comes from E Value and requests basic information regarding the externship location. It is the student’s responsibility to fill out this document as it is a vital part of receiving academic credit for externships! One day (1) before the end of your Externship you will receive an e-mail with instructions and two evaluations. One is for you, the student, regarding your experience at the externship location; the other is a PDF grade form which you will forward to your externship supervisor and they will use this to evaluate your performance during the externship. This grade form will be sent directly to Melissa Cox by the externship supervisor. Once the student’s grade is recorded, a copy of the grade form will be sent to you, the student, for review.
The maximum number of externship credits a student may accumulate towards graduation is 8. Students are permitted to complete 3 externships, one of which can be for a month in duration and will be eligible for 4 credits; the remaining two externships will only be eligible for 2 credits per two-week experience.
- You may complete up to 3 externships, each at a different location. If you decide to do more than three externships you will not receive additional credit. It will be considered personal experience.
- There are several ways to earn credit for externships:
- Earn 2 credits: Complete 2 weeks at one practice location.
- Earn 4 credits: Complete a 1-month long externship at one practice
- Earn 8 credits: Complete a 1-month long externship to earn 4 credits. Plus, complete two more externships at two different locations for two weeks each, earning 2 credits per experience. This totals 8 credits and gives the maximum allowed externship credit hours.
*Any odd number of weeks spent at an externship site will still be given either 2 or 4 credits (i.e. 3 weeks = 2 credits, 5 weeks = 4 credits).
I’m still confused…
- Check to see if your externship site is approved by going to the Externship Database Search. If not, ask the location to fill out the Application Request for Practice Approval. Remember! These locations MUST be approved by the Externship Committee (meetings monthly), so be sure you plan far enough in advance to give the members enough time to review the request!
- If and/or when the site is approved, contact Melissa Cox at email@example.com or (352) 294-4262 to coordinate scheduling and enrollment.
- It’s your responsibility to ask a question if you’re not sure. Retroactive credit will not be awarded. We are ready to help, just ask!
- NOTE: If you do not complete the Externship Location Form that you receive seven (7) days before leaving for the externship, you will not be granted academic credit for said Externship. This document is emailed to the student by E Value and it is the student’s responsibility to fill out and submit this document. OSI must know at all times where students are when enrolled for academic credit. Credit will not be given to any student who completed an externship say, while on vacation, and then tells us. We do not give out credit for externships retroactively.