Externships are completely optional and not required for a student to graduate. However, these experiences provide great opportunities for students to gain insight into working in private practices, specialty clinics and various locations.
We have developed the externship database to help you find approved extramural opportunities. You must be on campus using your GatorLink credentials to log on the database.
- Academic and Government institutions are pre-approved sites and therefore may not be listed in the database.
- Only U.S. externships are approved for academic credit.
While the college maintains a database of many available externships, additional locations can be approved by submitting the required Application Request for Practice Approval.
- This form must be submitted by the practice, not the student.
- Your externship needs to submit the request 2 months before your visit to the committee.
Please carefully read the details and instructions below regarding externships.
- Complete the Externship Request Form for each externship.
- UF students enroll through ONE.UF for academic credit (Offshore Students see OSI)
- Externships cannot be substituted for clinical rotations.
- UF students (fourth-years) may only complete an externship during an approved vacation period in the spring.
- Only third and fourth-year students are eligible for externships.
- Retroactive credit will not be awarded, you must be registered for the externship before attending.
- Externships must be supervised by a licensed veterinarian or doctoral level research scientist.
- Students are not permitted to completed an externship under the supervision of a family member.
Students are advised to purchase liability insurance through the AVMA Professional Liability Insurance Application. They have sponsored it for free for members of SAVMA. Please discuss liability insurance with the practice location at some point before beginning the externship; it is a good conversation to have in order to ensure everyone has the same understanding of how you are covered! Should you be completing your externship(s) at an academic institution, then you do not need to purchase this insurance.
- Students are permitted to complete a total of 3 externship experiences at approved locations.
- The maximum number of externship credits a student may accumulate towards graduation is eight.
- The eight maximum credits are achieved by attending a one-month long externship (eligible for 4 credits and then 2 two-week externships for 2 credits each).
- Each externship you attend must be at a different location.
- Students will not receive additional credit for completing more than three externships.
- Examples of earning externship credit:
- Earn 2 credits: Complete two weeks at one practice location.
- Earn 4 credits: Complete a one month long externship at one practice.
- Earn 6 credits: Complete three individual two week externships, earning 2 credits per experience.
- Earn 8 credits: Complete a one month long externship to earn 4 credits. Plus, complete two more externships at two different locations for two weeks each, earning 2 credits per experience. This totals 8 credits and gives the maximum allowed externship credit hours.
- Any odd number of weeks spent at an externship site will still be given either 2 or 4 credits (i.e. 3 weeks = 2 credits, 5 weeks = 4 credits).
You will receive an email from E*Value seven days before you leave for your externship for basic information regarding the externship location. Be sure to complete this document in order to receive academic credit for externships.
You will receive an email one day before the end of your externship with two evaluation forms. One form is for you to evaluate your experience; and the other form you will forward to your externship supervisor for their evaluation. The grade form must be sent to Dot McColskey by the externship supervisor. Once the student’s grade is recorded, a copy of the grade form will be sent to you for review.