Menu UF Health Home Menu

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Application Procedures

How do I apply to the UF College of Veterinary Medicine (UFCVM)?

Complete a VMCAS application

The Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) is required for all UFCVM applicants.

VMCAS Application

Complete the University of Florida Professional Application

The University of Florida Professional Application is required for all applicants to UF professional schools. Once you complete the application, you will be assigned a University of Florida Identification (UF ID) number which will be required to set up an account with the UFCVM. Please note that UF charges a $30 fee for this application. Applicants will also need to complete a Supplemental Information Sheet, Inventory of Pre-requisites, and Supplemental Essay. These documents can only be accessed within the UF Professional Application.


Deadlines and Additional Information

For up-to-date information regarding admissions deadlines, click here.

Does UF charge a separate fee for the UF Professional Application?

Yes. The fee is $30.

Where should I send the payment for the UF Professional Application?

University of Florida
Office of Admissions
PO Box 2946
Gainesville, FL 32627-2946

Please note that if you mail the application fee to the UFCVM by mistake, the payment will be returned to sender, delaying the application process.


Where do I mail my transcripts?

Send all transcripts to VMCAS by September 1, 2014. The address is:

VMCAS – Transcripts
PO Box 9126
Watertown, MA 02471

Note: We will NOT forward transcripts to VMCAS if we receive them. We cannot forward transcripts once they are opened.

Do I need a transcript from every college I’ve ever attended?

Yes, applicants must send transcripts for all post-secondary institutions attended, regardless of whether “course credit transferred” appears on one particular transcript. This includes college coursework taken in high school.

GRE Scores

What is your GRE school code?

The University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine GRE school code is 5753.

Please note: the University of Florida code is 5812. Although scores sent to this code will eventually reach our office, we would prefer that all scores be reported on 5753.

For more information about the GRE, please visit the ETS site.

When do you need to receive my GRE scores?

The last day to sit for the GRE is September 1, 2014.

How do I know if my GRE scores have been received?

By checking into the account you created after completing the UF Professional Application and the UF Supplemental Documents. Please note: It can take up to 5 business days for us to update your account after receiving your GRE scores.

Advance Placement (AP) and Courses Taken Abroad

Will you accept Advance Placement credit taken in high school?

Yes. We will accept these as long as they are documented on an undergraduate transcript. Please visit this page to learn more about AICE / AP / IB credits.

Can College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit be used to fulfill prerequisites?

CLEP will be accepted based on the rules put forth by the University Registrar. More information can be found by clicking here.

Will you accept credits from courses taken at foreign institutions?

Yes. We will accept courses that have been transferred to a U.S. college and have been noted on a U.S. college transcript with a grade. All courses that are not included in a U.S. transcript must be evaluated by an education service in order for us to decide if it is acceptable.

Financial Aid

How much does vet school cost?

For the 2013-2014 academic year:

Tuition for Florida Residents is $28,630 per year.

Tuition for Non-Sponsored students (out-of-state) is $45,500 per year and is fixed for all four years of your education regardless of any future changes in residency status.

You can find useful financial aid links and information by visiting this page.

How do I pay for vet school?

It is possible for students to fund their entire education with federally insured Direct Loans.

The primary financial aid instruments available to vet students are Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Direct PLUS Loans.  You can find more information about these loan instruments by clicking here.

Are there scholarships available at the UFCVM?

Yes. The scholarships are awarded bi-annually by a faculty committee. There are very few scholarships that require an application and almost all scholarships are reserved for enrolled students. There are a small number of scholarships given to incoming freshmen based on residency and academic merit.

Admissions Questions

What are the average GPA and GRE statistics of an accepted UF vet student?

You can see complete class statistics and demographic information on this page.

Is there a minimum GPA or GRE requirement?

The recommended minimum Science GPA is 3.00. It’s recommended that you have a GRE score at or above the 65th percentile on both the verbal and quantitative sections.

How much pre-vet experience should I have before I apply?

There is not a minimum requirement for pre-vet experience when applying to the UFCVM. However, we recommend that you have at least 500 hours of experience working with veterinarians, either in a clinical or research setting. All types of experience are accepted, including, but not limited to paid experience, volunteering, shadowing, research, etc.

How many references do I need to apply?

The UFCVM requires a minimum of three references. At least one letter should come from a veterinarian and it is recommended to have two letters from veterinarians and one from an academic source. In some cases, a fourth letter of recommendation may provide additional insight and can be valuable.

Do I have to participate in an interview to be accepted to the UFCVM?

Yes. The final step in the UFCVM admissions process is a 50-minute panel interview normally conducted in the beginning of February.

What undergraduate majors does the UFCVM prefer in the admissions process?

The most common majors are Biology and Animal Science. That being said, the UFCVM does not have a preferred undergraduate major. The prerequisite courses can be completed in any major. We recommend majoring in an area that you enjoy and that will provide you with the background that you desire, as this will result in your best possible academic performance.

What are the prerequisite courses?

The UFCVM requires 80 credits of college coursework in order to be eligible for admission. A complete list of prerequisites can be found on our website. Please note that the prerequisite courses are listed with UF prefixes and that many colleges and universities do not match up exactly with these classes. Should you have any questions regarding a class you are taking and whether or not it will fulfill a prerequisite, please contact

At the time of application, applicants should have completed at least 80% of prerequisites (not including Animal Science and Animal Nutrition).

Where should I take the prerequisite courses?

You can take the prerequisite courses at any accredited two-year or four-year college or university. Our admissions committee values course work completed at a university at a higher level than course work completed at a community college.  Be advised that many of our students complete some of their course work at community college but we encourage upper level science courses to be completed at a major university.

Please note that Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Animal Science, and Animal Nutrition must be completed at an accredited 4-year institution.

General Questions

If I am out of the country or otherwise unable to check the status of my application, can I have friends or family contact you?

No. Your application is confidential. We can only release the information to the applicant.